Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Regular IPA #15

Sometimes when the stars and moon are in proper alignment a batch is in progress prior to the complete consumption of the last batch. This is today's scenario. The last Rye PA was so good I was asked not to F#$% with the recipe. This is unpossible. As I am serving home brew on pool night I figured I would try an economy version:

10 lb 2-row
1/4 lb choc

1 oz Sterling
1 oz Cascade

Safale us-05

Total bill: $25.08. went out to the truck for 8 cents.

Trub rinse is a habit now. I get and extra gallon out of the primary and I don't have to 'water up'.

I tried a new brew method. Mash on the stove top in the boil pot. As the mash draws water I am able to more closely monitor the process, stirring as the pot thickens, adding water and adjusting heat to hold a steady 153 Deg F. Then after the mash is done, add heat and start sifting the husks out. This takes time and is not as efficient as the Sparge-O-Matic but, I believe I get maximal conversion.

Boil Pot, Rinse Pot, Strainer

1 comment:

  1. That trub rinse technique sounds like one of those little things that makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete