Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

IPA #5

Jan 19th, 2011

I finally have the mashing temperature figured out. An excel spreadsheet calculates the amount of water at which temperature to add based on the weight & temperature of grain. I found it on-line somewhere and I can dig it up if anyone is interested.

10 lb 2-row
1 lb dark crystal #120

1 oz Gelena @ 13.2%
1 oz German Traditional @ 5.8%
1 oz Kent Goldings @ 4.5%

Safale us-05

I usually add the strongest hops after the break in the boil after i skim off most of the scum. Some people don't skim, I skim. I usually boil for 90 minutes too. So I add half the gelena after boil, 20 minutes later I add the other half. Then I split the other hops into 3 or 4 little bowls and add the at equal interval, the last addition a minute or two before removing heat.

Observation: Boiling longer converts more sugar which allows for a quicker turn around. I shoot for 3 weeks. Week one in primary, week two in secondary, week three in bottle, week four half gone, week five all gone seems to be the pattern. If ferment-able sugars don't ferment in the abbreviated cycle them they will ferment in you gut. This can be a dangerous thing.

So leave out the crystal, use chocolate wheat for body and flavor. Three weeks, great taste, no gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment