Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Corona Clone via Castle Lager #8

March 16th, 2011

We have all done it, given the better half a present for yourself. Well I brewed a Corona clone for Wifey's birthday and who gets to drink it all? Moi. I can't tell you the ABV in Corona but if I had to guess, I would say it was around 4 percent. Using the rule of thumb that 2 lbs of grain makes 1 percent ABV, I was around  5% range. This brings up a good point. I don't use a hydrometer. Why? Because, that's why. I could drive without a speedometer. I could play a song without looking at the music although that might be improvisation based on my skill level. So I guess you can say I leave a lot to improvisation.

 The beer was a killer but the cost was extreme: $52.42 for two cases. It would have been cheaper to just go buy it. But, you can't buy taste. I would have been disappointed had my beer actually tasted like Corona. No, I needed more body, more malt and certainly more hops. And I got it.

The reason it is so pricey is because it has many different types of grain and in quantities under ten lbs it is over $2.50 /lb, some as high as $5.40.  This is stupid in my mind. Now I start all recipes with 10 lbs of 2-row @ $2.1 per lb, crushed, and flavor with chocolate barley or wheat. Oh, and forget the corn. No corn or rice in my beer. I don't have a purity standard but then again, I'm not making vodka.

I can only tell you what is on the receipt, can't tell you the lovibonds.

4 lb 2-row
4 lb Dingemans Pilse
1/4 lb Caramel
1/4 lb Vienna
1 lb Muntons


1 oz Hallertau hops @ 4.7 %
1 oz Tettnang Hops @ 4.8%

Whitelabs Pilsner Yeast @ $5.00
This yeast failed so I added Saflager S-23

No comments:

Post a Comment