Brew Date: Sept 4th, 2016
12 lb 2 row
1/2 lb biscuit, 1/4 lb of 2 varieties
1 Oz Galena
1 Oz Amarillo
1 Oz Cascade
Mashed 1hr at 135 Deg F for one hour with ~4 gallons. After an hour, rinsed with another 4 gallons at 150 Deg F.
Boil started with ~6.5 gallons, added another 1/2 gallon at the 60 minute mark.
Tried something different today. Added hops after the 20 minute mark and then three more times every 10 minutes. Total boil was 70-80 min. The cool down took 10 minutes to heat back up.
Used wort chiller, dropped to 100 Deg F in about 15 minutes.
Put wort in conical fermenter. Will dump the hops around day 4 after the active fermentation is complete.
No roasted grains. just a straight forward pale ale. Hope it will be crisp and pale.
Thursday, June 16, 2016
Brew Date: 5/26/2016
12 lb 2 row
2 lb rye
4 oz midnight wheat
Safe ale #5
Boiled 90 min
Add a portion of hops every 20 min, strongest to weakest.
Mashed ~70 min at 150f. Ended around 135f
~4.5 gal + 4.5 rinse.
Started with 7 gallon, ended at 5.
Used the new conical fermenter.
All the trub stayed below the dip tube. There is about 24 oz of beer on to of a slimy mess.
Bottling day last Sunday evening.
I primed this 5 gal with 5/8 cup of sugar. Want this one to have some bubbles.
Should be ready to sample in a week or so.
Saturday, January 16, 2016
Going back to my roots. Trying recipe #3 again, and right out of the gate I messed up the recipe. The Brew Store gave me some roasted barley when I asked for wheat. Shouldn't be too bad of a substitution though. I did manage to find the same hops and yeast.
Starting with 4 gallons of water to mash my 15lbs of grain. Now that I have Uncle Jim's 10 gallon mash tun, I can also use 4 gallons of rinse water. Should end with 6 gallons in the primary fermenter.
My other supplies. Amarillo and Galena hops and U.S.-05 ale yeast. Need some nice bold hops to balance the 3 layers of chocolatety goodness.
Wort is streaming out blacker than molasses. This is going to be one thick brew. The pitcher is used to send the first running back to the tun in order to filter out the bits that make it past the false bottom strainer.
Next, I will run another 3 to 4 gallons of rinse water trough in order to catch all the wort that is stuck in the draft, or spent grain.
The boiling pot looks like it will be filled to the top of the stamped side label. When the boil is complete, the level will be at the bottom of the label.
Boil for 90 minutes while adding a fraction of hops every 20 minutes. Usually I put the stronger hops in first and the milder ones toward the end.
Next, I'll use the wort chiller to drop the temperature low enough so that I can transfer the wort to a plastic carboy.
Sanitizing the primary fermenter. While the hop acid will take care of some of the bacteria, I use Star San as an extra precaution.
Pitched yeast at 10:30. Total brew time 6.5 hrs including dinner and catching the end of a silly movie Lee put on.
24 hrs later and a nice cap has developed on top. The CO2 bubbles float the hop leaves to the top. The aroma coming out of the bubbler is floral with a hint citrus.
Now I can wait a week is so, after the cap settles down, indicating a slowdown in fermentation. This is when the beer is transferred to the secondary fermenter. The hops and trub are removed and the yeast continues the convert the more complex sugars, but at a slower rate.
8 days later, transfer to secondary fermenter.
Doing a rinse so I can recover all the beer trapped in the trub.
When my conical fermentor arrives, I will transfer the beer to it so I can run the sediments that made it through my transfer. Because my conical fermentor is on the way, I poured from the primary instead of siphoning.
Tuesday, January 5, 2016
Gone are those stereo components that we clung to for so many decades. Like the explorer in Windows XP, like regular gas without ethanol, like taxation with representation, all these things are broken, never to return.
Here are our components that have just plain worn out. On top is our JVC A-X40 power amp, in the middle the JVC T-X55 tuner, and on bottom the Denon DCD- 610 CD player. The CD is the second one after my Pioneer died. Forget about the tape players, went through 3 of those. Will replace the CD when I can find a single drawer unit.
Anyway, here is our new Onkyo TX-8020 power amp with built in tuner. above that is our Technics SL-5200 direct drive turn table. This was given to me by a friend. It replaced his little brother SL-B2. I must have changed the belt around four times. Glad to be rid of the belt drive. Did it have to by black? They don't offer silver anymore.
The driving force for replacement of the JVC was the plated contacts were all corroded and so the turn table wouldn't deliver clean sound without fussing with the EQ selector buttons.
Let's see how well the Onkyo holds up. Vinyl is all the rage, so I had to do it.
Now, all I need to do is string the FM antenna, and maybe connect the TV. The Black wire to the right of the turn table is for connecting aux devices like phones, computers etc, so that's covered.
Saturday, November 21, 2015
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
Friday, May 8, 2015
Brew date 5/8/15
I figure it's time for a IPA so I dropped by the shop and picked up some supplies.
As usual I start with 10 lbs of two row, but I did switch it up a bit. Instead of grabbing the garden variety, I picked up this one:
I'm told it has a tad bit of body to it. Next I grabbed 4 oz of biscuit for the rest of the body. Just a hint.
And then for some color, 2 oz of chocolate wheat:
Two oz of hops:
And the std us#5 yeast.
Should be ready in 4 weeks.
Here's a pic of Uncle Jim's mash tun:
6 glorious gallons. The mash tun is big enough and the boiling pot is big enough and a 6 gallon Carboy just makes it easier to end up with more than five gallons.