Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Batch #3 Triple Chocolate Death

Tuesday Dec 28th, 2011

I was shooting for a Dark IPA. Kind of stout-like. Well who knew that a stout might only use one lb of chocolate wheat. I used three. My daughter was having a sleep over that evening and the house was smelling like a brewery. One of the kids couldn't get over the fact that you could actually make beer and she would comment to her quite often.The hops were also over the top; 1 oz @ 13.2% and 2oz @ 7.2%. The girls had to stay up stairs to keep from feeling ill. I was sedated by to aroma therapy. They say hops are a sedative.

Recipe
12 lb 2-row
3 lb chocolate wheat

1 oz Gelena hops
2 oz Amarillo hops

Safale us-05 yeast

I happened to screw up the temperatures on this round because I was alone in terms of help and it was my first real deal. I put to work the sparg-o-matic after the mash and all was well. The tannins weren't to bad because the three lbs of chocolate can hide an aweful lot. Esters were also present but the over all rating was high based on all who partook.

This is a solid recipe and I will make it again for summer vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment