Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Brew #29

Brew date: 2/27/2014

IPA similar to brew #4 minus the Gelena. I wanted to try an IPA with a little less bite. I recall #4 to have an extra edge to it so this one is toned down just a bit.

12 lbs 2-row
1 lb Crystal #60
1 oz Sterling
1 oz Kent
1 oz Cascade
US-05 dry yeast

IPA #29


It's a biological reaction going on inside that glass vessel.


Porter #28
 Here is a pic of #28. Will see if the guys have any recollection to the #17 that I modeled this one after.


Nice Foamy Head


There She Blows

This morning she said 'I heard the soap dish fall off the wall in the shower'. It turned out to be the air lock bubbler smashing into the basement ceiling. This batch had a serious blow off because I overfilled the primary.

I had an extra half gallon in a second fermenter and after three days of active fermentation I poured the extra beer into the glass primary and put it down stairs. Because the swirling had settled down I was tricked into thinking I could top of the primary.

This afternoon as I cleaned up the mess I could see the yeast was culturing on the foamy cap. The concoction blew out of the top and then oozed down the side of the glass leaving a slimy trail. On the table top was a culture with the consistency of yogurt that I used  spatula to scoop up.

I hope I didn't lose too many hops to affect the flavor and aroma. Will know when i transfer to the secondary fermenter.

Update:

3/30/2014

Note to self: Cut the crystal to 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb and use Galena or Northern Brewer hops instead of Cascade next go-round.








No comments:

Post a Comment