Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Friday, March 22, 2013

What's Wrong With The 2.0T FSI Engine

 The 2.0T FSI engine is a heck of a power plant when the engine is new. However, after some age, you question whether the direct fuel injected engine is a good idea.

Because the gas from the injectors does not flow over the intake valves, the valves and chambers are subject to fouling. If I were to design a direct injected engine, I would have a method to clean the intake valves on a regular basis. I envision a schrader valves on the manifold in front of each intake. This way, you can dump a can of carburetor cleaner in each cylinder at 15k to 20k miles intervals to clean the valves.


I  think we have a good understanding why the car was having trouble starting in the morning and why the check engine light was always on. The oxygen sensors must have been going crazy.

This is what the valves look like after 134k miles.

 Intake Valves Before

 After I managed to peel the manifold off, I wasted a can of brake cleaner in the inlet chambers. Brake cleaner was all  I had on hand. Then I wiped around using my finger and a rag. I had rubber gloves on and the brake cleaner melted the gloves. So the picture above is improved from what it was prior to my first cleaning effort. Each valve was at least 50% blocked.


Cleansers And Cleaners

This is how I left them. Day light was burning and I had to get the cam shaft reinstalled.


Intake Valves After

I hope to have the car all put back together by tomorrow evening before the global warming arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment