Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Friday, March 15, 2013

I Rinsed, I Tasted, I'm Shocked.

Free Beer

After the beer is siphoned to the secondary it always seems as though a gallon has disappeared. But it is really hidden in the trub. So I recover that gallon by adding another gallon of tap water.

My theory is that all the beer that is mixed in among the hops isn't going to come out due to some sort of surface tension. By adding oxygenated water the yeast is revitalized and the thinner solution slips away form the hops with ease.

This pic is after ~12 hr of adding water. The mess at the bottom is more compact and the beer on top is getting darker by the hour.

Will mix it up another time and then siphon off the good stuff tomorrow.

When I transferred to the secondary I sampled the five day old beer. My first reaction was "Holy Crap!" Wifey said "Whats wrong?" I replied "I just discovered SN's Ruthless Rye formula" because at 5 days, it tastes exactly like it. I was tempted to take another larger sample, but reason prevailed. Double blind taste tests will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment