Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Like a Rocket, Don't Forget The Oil Pan

So I got the whole thing put together and the moment of truth arrived. After opening the driver side door several times to charge the low pressure fuel system, I cranked it over in 5 short attempts. On the sixth or seventh try it caught and it chugged and sputtered for a moment, then the engine settled down to 750 rpm as smooth as the day we drove the car home.

I went for a test drive around the block. Our block is 4 mi North, 8 mile South and back 4 miles north. The mileage counter while cruising down hill was indicating mid 40's mpg. After I returned home I decided to go get an oil filter and a couple of stogies. On the 30 mile round trip the mileage counter was indicating 37 mpg. This is up from 29 mpg before the valve cleaning.

In the back of my mind I am thinking am I done yet? I still had all those unaccounted for parts in the oil pan. So I dropped the pan. And, it is getting very late.

'07 2.0T FSI Oil Pan
The pan came off easily enough, except for those bolts located next to the transmission. The wrench had a ~15 deg angle in order to engage the socket. How the heck am I getting these back on?

Bits And Pieces
 Here is some of the junk that I found. The large pieces aren't the problem. It's the small ones that can make it through the oil strainer that I am worried about. There appears to be pieces of ceramic in there. I am wondering if it is from the oil because this stuff doesn't look like engine material. From now on I am filtering my oil through a nylon stocking, to see what I might find.

Oil Pump Suction Strainer
I worked on this for 15 minutes and got a pile of junk out of it. I flushed it with WD-40 and light weight tool oil several times.

I lost a pan bolt so I will resume the search for the bolt in daylight. And the beer that was supposed to be bottled yesterday, it can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment