Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Imperial

Imperial

Happy Yeast

That extra 3 lbs of spray malt must really be giving the yeast something to chew on. Using the five gallon rules of thumb: 2 lb grain per percent, and 1 lb spray malt per percent, will put us in the land of 9% abv. I better put this in small bottles.

Yeast Is Still At It
This time around it had to switch things up a bit. Normally I put the hops into the primary but this time I strained them out, the big stuff that is. The find stuff still makes it thru and leave a small deposit of sediment.

With a 90 minute boil the hop additions went like this:

0       1/3 Galena
20     1/3 Galena    1/3 Chinook
40     1/3 Galena    1/3 Chinook
60     1 Cascade    1/3 Chinook
70     1 Cascade
80     rest on burner
90     remove from burner and chill

Some recipes call for hops to be added at the end of the boil, only to be strained out immediately.  I figured since I am straining them, I may as well have some time in the mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment