Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Vanilla Porter #24

Brew Date: August 10th, 3013


Mashing In Juice Box
Keeping A Close Eye
Rye IPA & Hop Schedule

Today while I was at the brew store I was reminded that today is the Microfestivus. Wifey just showed me how to link! Although Microfestivus is a great time, I decided to stick with brewing, in the A/C. Even had a Dogfish Head 90 IPA earlier. That is where I spent all my tickets on previous occasions, .a whole 'nother story. Still have a couple Rye IPA's left, but they're are going away fast.

Today's Recipe:

11 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb Carafa 1 1000L
1/4 lb Muttons 500L
1/4 lb choc wheat

Cascade @ 7.3%
US Brewers Gold @ 10.5%

Additions at 0, 20, 40, 55 min for 60 min boil

Safale #5 yeast at cool down, later this evening

1 Vanilla bean. After 1 week in the primary, I will split the been, scrap the seeds, cut the been in parts, soak seeds and all in 4 oz vodka. Then add it to primary, tasting for flavor after ~4 days. Then another 2 weeks in secondary.

Rinse
 In a day or so there will be ~1.5 gallons of beer to add to the 3.5 gallons in the secondary fermenter.

Update: Black, Chocolaty, Vanilla, Beer. Preliminary taste test indicates this is a freakin awesome recipe, although, Wifey says she thinks she can taste the vodka. Next time will try w/o vodka. The beer was a little stronger in taste than the finished product because the trub rinse has to be added in a couple of days to make up the final volume.

2 comments:

  1. SteVo!

    I got some birthday money, and I think I want to start brewing. I have assorted pots and pans, but I was wondering if you had a recommendation for a minimum startup set for brewing beer.

    I saw some startup kits from places like Northern Brewing online. There is also a local place that I can go into, but I wanted a little advice before I went in, so I didn't look completely foolish.

    Jay in Ames from AOS.

    http://jayinames.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      email me sdrizo at yah oo dot com.

      My whole blog is about going the economy route. First things first, you need something to put your beer in. Start saving your 16, 22 and 24 oz bottles. 5 gal works out to 2 case of 12 oz.

      Then you you need a boiling pot. 3.5 gal will work, 5 is better, 7.5 is my next goal.

      Next, you need a primary fermenter. Some people use a 5 or 6 gal bucket. I use a 5 gal glass carboy. I started using 5 gal plastic carboys. You can get these at lowes if you buy water. These need an air lock and stopper.

      I picker up some stuff from Northern Brewer and then supplemented from the brew store. Check you brew store to see if there is a brewing guild. Then join and you will get the inside scoop real fast.







      Delete