Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Brew #20 Porter #17, Take 3

Brew Date: Dec 19th, 2012

Here we go again. You know by now that something here is not like the other. After making a poor choice of substituting chocolate rye for chocolate wheat on brew #19, I am putting the wheat back, and then adding 3 lb of spraymalt extract to the boil. My mash ton can only hold so much grain and until I get this under control, higher ABV's will have to come by way of extract.

sTevo's Porter, take 3:

10 lbs 2-row
3 lb Plain Extra Light Spraymalt
3/4 lb crystal 80L
1/2 lb roasted barley 300L
1/4 lb chocolate wheat 1000L

1 oz saaz @ 4.9%
1 oz tettnang @ 4.8%
1 oz kent golding @ 4.5%

Safale US#05 dry yeast


Hop Addition Schedule:
Upon Boil after Skimming
1/2 oz saaz  1/2 oz tett t=20
1/2 oz saaz  1/2 oz tett t=40
1/3 oz Kent t=55
dry hop 2/3 kent after active fermentation settles down.

Rinsing Adds ~1 Gallon

Pours like Syrup
My concoction  boiled over on wifey's glass cook top which was a major pain and caused a lengthy delay. I had to cool down the wort, siphon it in a carboy, clean the glass using razor blades and ceramic cleaner. Then I started the boil all over after the mess was cleaned up, an hour and a half later. On the plus side, wifey was to tired to get involved.

Wort hit that cook top and instantly caramelized and then turned to charcoal. Had I continued, the smoke alarms would have started blaring. I used two pots to boil in on the second round so I would not repeat this operation, even though the dross from the break hit the cook top and flowed to the floor. I still have to remove the oven door face to clean out the inside. The blob flowed in through the vents as it proceeded downward.

I was up till midnight getting it done. On the plus side, I got to use my wort chiller twice in one evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment