Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Monday, November 17, 2014

The Continuing Saga

Water problems part 2.

The other day I saw a puddle on the basement floor, like the pooch couldn't wait to go out, so he ran down to the basement to do it there.   

The odd thing about it was the floor was wet behind the tank too. The well tank, to a dog must look like a hydrant, so let 'er rip. How could he resist the temptation.

I mopped up the mess and kept the pooch upstairs, but sure enough, the puddle formed again. 

So today I stopped at the hardware store to get some 3 piece couplings so I can get the well fitting off, in order to inspect the bottom tank connections.  My hunch was the plumber used insufficient pipe dope on the threaded fittings. 

In preparation, we fill two water jugs and four 5 gal buckets with water. Some for coffee and the rest for flushing. I figured there is a good chance the tank rotted through. 


Getting to 1-1/4 pipe nipple off was a real chore. The joint was so tight that I bent the bottom he tank by torquing the nipple so hard.


I cleaned up all the threads to the tank, elbow and pressure switch fitting and started reassembly when I saw this little blister on the side if the tank. I popped it like a water blister you get from raking leaves in the fall. I dried off the spot with a rag and sure enough, it wetted again. 


Son of a B! Now I have to round up a 50 gal tank at the tune of $300. 

On the other hand, Wifey is out of town so now I have an excuse to skip doing dishes. 

1 comment: