Dedicated to making homemade beer using Wifey's pots and pans.

Friday, October 3, 2014

Brew #32 Rye Not So Pale Ale


Brew Date: 10/5/2013

Went to the brew store on a whim. When I arrived I could smell the sweet scent of whole Amarillo hops. I said give 'me two oz', before I even knew what I was gonna get.

So today it's Rye Not So Pale Ale.



Notes


Today I screwed up royally. I started mashing without the false bottom and so I had to transfer the mash tun contents to the boiling pot. What I discovered is that I'm not using nearly enough water to mash with and will have to adjust my ratios accordingly.

I am also mashing this one at 140deg F because batch #31 had a tanginess that I believe to be from mashing too hot. I read somewhere the tannins from the husks will become prevalent. Well that's the story, and I'm sticking to it. 


Yeast is doing well. 


Regarding the whole hops. I ran into a snag while siphoning. Three quarters of they way into transferring the wort into the primary, the flow stopped because the hop buds plugged up the hose. So I resorted to scooping the remainder of wort with a sauce pan an poured it through a strainer that rested in a large funnel. Then I had to press the oily residue out of the hop buds with my stirring spoon. 

Most of the pellitized hops made it through so I hop this batch has a nice bite to it. 

Typical for ales, I let the hops go along for the ride in the primary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment